Monday, November 26, 2007

Me = Slacker

Sorry all,

I've been too busy/negligent to update this in a while. First I was working hard to get things done before Thanksgiving break and then I didn't bring my camera's usb hookup with me to GA, (which was a really nice break) so I'll have to do some serious updating now.

First of all, I finished my fair isle hat in one of the prettiest patterns I've ever seen:

Que belle, non? I'm especially proud of the braided pattern at the bottom--that wasn't easy to maneuver, folks. Too bad the whole hat is too tall and narrow--makes my head look like a huge oval. If I get bored one day, I may take the top apart and make the whole thing shorter, but for now I can live with a tall hat with a lovely pattern.

Second order of business: Thanksgiving project. There wasn't a whole lot to do while I was down in GA, so I mostly worked on this scarf:

It's made with laceweight kid merino yarn that's so soft and delicate I even bought a bunch to make some socks out of (next project!) Little old ladies in airports kept coming up to me and asking me about this scarf, telling me how pretty it is. I quite agree with them. Too bad I didn't buy enough yarn to finish the darn thing--the pattern lied to me. I ordered some more this afternoon so eventually I'll have 5 feet of 'lucious' lace scarf with only 3 balls (not the advertised 2).

I have also come to the conclusion that the sweater I made this summer looks like crap on me, so I'm going to take it apart and use that yarn for something I'll actually wear. And because I love a challenge, I'm going to attempt this sweater. So in about 4 years maybe I'll have a berry red torque sweater... But for now, while I wait for supplies, current project is a pair of 'strawberry soda' socks in kid merino. I'm such a knitting dork...

Until next time,

-Allie

PS: Keep on the lookout for people with abnormally long heads who enjoy fair isle.

3 comments:

Christina said...

I don't have a long head, but I do love that hat! If I buy you yarn, can you make me one?

선미 (Sunmi) said...

Holy cupcakes, that is a beautiful hat. I want to learn, too!

And I definitely don't blame the old ladies for stopping to admire your scarf, either.

Allie said...

Thanks guys =)

And absolutely, Raba, I would love to make you a hat. I'll warn you that it might take a while since I'm a dork and have all kinds of projects. The yarn I used was Debbie Bliss Cashmerino, but really any dk weight will do. I have some cream and a whole bunch of red left over, but you're welcome to pick out some other colors.