Friday, March 12, 2010

Tangled Yoke Cardigan

Here it is, finally! This sweater was such a pleasure to knit! I love patterns that are knit solely in one piece and that require very minimal finishing, like this one. While it feels good to finish a panel of a sweater that's knit in pieces and say "I finished the back!", it's so much easier to just cast off the knitting and be completely done. Plus you can sometimes try on the latter if it's a top-down sweater, which was not the case here, but that's not the point.

Here it is in all its glory:
Great length, very comfortable. My only complaint is that it's a little tight across that shoulders, but that's more my fault than the pattern's. I have rather broad shoulders and should learn to accomodate for that by adding a few increases here and there. I guess it was a little tougher in this case, since there is a cable band right where I should have added the extra inches. Oh well! Here is a close-up of the cable pattern. Sorry the picture is so dark--the yarn color wasn't exactly helping.
The yarn I used was Knit Picks City Tweed DK, which is very soft and VERY warm. I was almost uncomfortably warm when I wore this to work. That is probably due to the alpaca mixed in with the wool and donegal tweed. My only complaint about the yarn (apart from the meager color selection) is the presence of so many slubs. You can see it pretty well in the above photo that it gives the piece a tad more of a "rustic" feel than I was going for, like it's almost too "comfy" to wear to work. I wish they would let the main color speak more for itself. Super cute, though. I will definitely be wearing this sweater a lot.

Here is the back of it, fitting just as well in the front.

For the buttons I honestly just found them around the house. You know when you buy clothes with buttons and they come with an extra button or two attached to the tag? I've been keeping mine over the years and when it came time to sew some on this sweater, I went through that collection and found nine of near perfect similarity. Now they're not EXACTLY the same, but who cares? It adds to the "homeyness" of the sweater. Plus I used a bunch of buttons that others might deem useless.

I think the only thing I would have changed about the pattern is the garter stitch ribbing. It got really tedious and I don't really care for how it looks. If I were to do it again, I think I would just change it to regular 2x2 ribbing.

Since this project, I have been working on the Arisaig cardigan with that delicious angora yarn I got from colourmart. I cannot say enough good things about this yarn. I want to be done with the project already so I can cocoon myself in its softness. Unfortunately, the pattern is executed on size 1 and 2 needles, so I've only managed to make it about halfway through and have experienced some serious hand cramping in the process. I'm trying to take the rest of it slow so I don't succumb to injury and have to take time off altogether from knitting.

I am also still working on the Etsy project. I started the experiment in cables and color and figured out a good cable pattern for the band and started it yesterday. Unfortunately, Jericho got ahold of it this morning, so that set the project back aways. I'll let you all know how the recovery goes and if I actually manage to make a real pattern out of it. Keep your fingers crossed!

No comments: