Monday, November 28, 2011

Never Knit Your Man a Sweater*

*Especially if he's 6'4"

Naw, I'm just kidding.  I really couldn't be more pleased with this project.  If you know my hubby, you know he's not really a sweater wearing kind of a guy.  He likes jeans and flannel shirts.  I'd offered to make him sweaters in the past and he'd always turned me down.

Unfortunately, his accounting firm tends to pinch pennies on the heating bill and the poor thing is left shivering at his desk.  Since they have a dress code, my darling husband needed a sweater:

It looks a little lumpy in this picture, but that's because he'd been wearing that button-down shirt all day and it didn't want to lie flat.  But look at where the seams hit--just perfect!  The collar lies flat, the sleeves are just long enough, the armholes are big enough.  SO happy.

I think DH likes it, too.  After all, he did pick out the pattern--the most boring pattern he possibly could have.
I showed him sweaters with cables, I showed him sweaters with ribs, but all he wanted was the plainest, simplest sweater that wouldn't stand out in any way.  Accountants, pssh. 

If you clicked my link above, you'll note that the Drops pattern he picked has a seed stitch yoke.  He didn't want that either.  He wanted the whole darn thing to be stockinette.  For a guy with only a few opinions, he sure has some strong ones.

I will say this, though, if he'd picked any of the patterns I'd shown him, I would probably still be working on it and no one else would be getting a knitted Christmas present this year.  And I've got a few doozy requests this year.  I'm going to need to learn to knit in my sleep to get them all done!

For those of you who know us both--or heard the story of the green vest--you would think that I picked the yarn out, too.  Nope.  Hubby decided he has enough green and blue sweaters and really wanted a dark red one.  I showed him picture after picture of yarn colorways and none of them were dark enough until we found KP's Swish DK in Garnet Heather.  He does look dashing in that color, doesn't he?

I think this might be my favorite Christmas gift this year.  One down...lots more to go.

Hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving and good luck with all your Christmas endeavors!

Cheers,

-Allie

P.S. Bad Cat news: crazy, list-oriented person that I am, I've already got our tree up and most of the house already decorated.  (You're jealous.  Admit it.)  Not 5 minutes later, Arty decided to "help" me put up decorations by climbing as far up the tree as he could.  He always likes to "help" me with whatever I'm doing (sweeping the kitchen, folding laundry, etc), but this one landed him a fat squirt of water in the face.  I've only seen him up there once more since then, but here's hoping our resident naughty kitty doesn't knock it over and destroy all my pretty ornaments!

1 comment:

Lora said...

I came across the link to your blog on TK… and I just had to post that this sweater is absolutely amazing! Incredible work.