Monday, August 1, 2011

Oslo Walk Shawl

I did it.  I'm done!  My last day with LOMAF was on Friday and I start my new position in Portland on Wednesday.  Hurray for progress!

I went in for some training last Tuesday and I can already tell how much of an improvement it's going to be!  I am SO excited!

Knitting: This is what remained of that huge cone of lace I bought for my wedding shawl.  That gigantic amount of yarn was enough to make both my wedding shawl and Mel's wedding shawl with enough leftover to make the following, the Oslo Walk Shawl by Susanna IC.  Now my stash entirely consists of yarn bought after May 2011.  Yay for stash-busting!
Pretty, right?  This was probably the fastest shawl I've ever knit.  Not only was it knit on size 7 needles, but crescent shawls are amazingly fast.  Susanna IC has recently published a number of crescent shaped shawls--in Interweave Knits, Twist Collective, and Knitty.  I've also knit her Hawthorne pattern from TC Fall 2010.She has a great variety of difficulties, too.

This particular pattern was pretty easy.  You should be able to read charts and read your own knitting--so you can recognize your place in long, long rows, but it would be a good second lace project for someone.  A great pattern for a quick gift knit.
They are my new favorite shape.  You start at the bottom of the lace edging and then knit the rest of the shawl in short rows.  You knit fewer individual rows, so the pattern is always interesting, and the crescent shape is a lot easier to wear than a triangular shawl.  I will absolutely be knitting more of these in the future. 

Since I already have a pretty scarf in this exact yarn, I'm not sure what exactly I'll do with this shawl.  Probably give it to some lucky lady for Christmas...we'll see.

For next time, I'll have a new cardigan to show you.  It just needs some buttons :)

Cheers,

-Allie

No comments: